Paul Rodgers Addresses Health Rumors After Turning Down Van Halen Invite
Paul Rodgers Addresses Health Rumors After Turning Down Van Halen Invite
Victoria MillerSat, February 21, 2026 at 10:25 PM UTC
0
(Photo by J. Shearer on Getty Images)
Paul Rodgers, the legendary founding Bad Company frontman, gave fans an update on his health—and confirmed he was invited to work on an upcoming Van Halen project but declined.
On Feb. 21, the “Ready for Love” rocker, 76, posted to X and Instagram to assure fans that his health is fine months after he skipped his band’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction at the last minute.
“To squash the rumours... My health is good,” Rodgers wrote. “I feel fit and strong and I am rehearsing to perform March 2nd at the Adopt the Arts Sound and Vision Awards in Palm Springs. Thanks to Van Halen for inviting me to work on a track with them, but I am in my acoustic, zen phase of life.”
Rodgers’ Van Halen mention came after Alex Van Halen confirmed he was working on a “collection of new recordings" featuring previously unheard material by his late brother Eddie, who died in October 2020 at age 65.
"I've been fortunate enough to have Steve Lukather, who was a good friend of Ed's, and we're working on putting a record together," Van Halen said during a recent interview with the YouTube channel KazaGastao. “The drums, the guitar, and the bass are already in there.”
Advertisement
Van Halen, who did not mention reuniting with past Van Halen singers David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar, also revealed that Rodgers turned down an offer to perform on the record. "It was very difficult for him to bring himself to say, 'No, I can't. Count me out," Van Halen said of the Bad Company singer. "I respect that."
Fans have been concerned about Rodgers ever since he bowed out of performing or even attending Bad Company’s long-overdue Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction last year.
In a post to Instagram days before the November 2025 ceremony, Rodgers wrote, “My hope was to be at the Rock & Rock Hall of Fame induction ceremony and to perform for the fans, but at this time I have to prioritize my health. I have no problem singing, it's the stress of everything else."
During a 2023 interview with CBS Mornings, Rodgers revealed that he had suffered two major strokes in 2016 and 2019 and multiple minor strokes. The music legend underwent an endarterectomy, which posed a serious risk to his vocal cords. Six months later, he was able to sing and play guitar again.
“Each thing was a step forward,” the Bad Company rocker shared. “Each thing that I did was an achievement … 'Oh, I can do this. I can sing.’”
🎬SIGN UP for Parade's Daily newsletter to get the latest pop culture news & celebrity interviews delivered right to your inbox🎬
This story was originally published by Parade on Feb 21, 2026, where it first appeared in the Entertainment section. Add Parade as a Preferred Source by clicking here.
Source: “AOL Entertainment”